Friday 28 March 2014

The moment of truth in over 24 hours

Well, I cannot believe it. Tomorrow night, I find out if my speech package has clinched the top prize of 'Best Speech Package' at the National Hospital Radio Awards in Bristol - I was nominated for reviewing the hit political play, "The Confessions of Gordon Brown", and interviewing the man who wrote it, Kevin Toolis. I'm too modest for my own good at times, but I cannot keep my own feelings to myself about this weekend and couldn't resist blogging before I start my journey south later tonight.

Earlier today, I started to think deeply about how big things have really become. Admittedly, I'm also beginning to feel a little apprehensive, but I guess that's normal before the outcome of any competition or awards ceremony, is it not? It was only just over a year ago when I started out with my own weekly programme for Victoria Radio Network. If you had said to me back then that I would be looking ahead to a nomination for a nationally recognised award then I would have laughed so hard that my hernia would have been unable to take the strain of my own laughter. And yet, I'm laughing - but for reasons of joy.

I don't want to push expectations up too much, because I know for a fact that the competition will be very intense and the entries for the award will be of a high quality. To even have my speech package nominated for a national award is just an incredible achievement. It is also an achievement that I will treasure for a long time to come and one that is of significant importance in my own professional development of my career in the media.

I only started getting to work this month with my studies for my journalism diploma with the NCTJ (National Council for the Training of Journalists) and, regardless of the outcome tomorrow night, the nomination is a major confidence boost in my own abilities in compiling a high standard of programming to people who listen to me.

Regardless of the result tomorrow evening, this achievement of being in contention for a major award for my work is a celebration and I'll be waving the flag for Victoria Radio Network and for Scotland and hoping to come home with a winning result. You can find out what has happened by following me on Twitter @OfficialAnasSCO or by liking my Facebook page which you can locate here. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment