Thursday 14 February 2013

Valentine's Day is not just today. Its everyday.

Image courtesy of Pixomar / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Today marks the Feast of Saint Valentine. Celebrated in most parts of the world, history states that it began as a liturgical celebration of a Christian saint (or more than one of them) called Valentinus. A man called Geoffrey Chaucer wrote a poem called Parlement of Foules in the 14th century and his writing marked the first occasion of this day with the concept of romance and love: 




I passionately believe that romance is more alive than ever before. I do not accept the idea that romance is seen as an old fashioned and outdated ideology, despite what elements of the media and many others will make you believe. But that's not to say that within some groups of people, worldwide, romance has been tragically shunned in favour of pure lust, which on its own without the soothing combination with romance, is rather nauseatingly loathsome. 

An upcoming star of Irish journalism, Meghann Scully, provided a thought provoking insight last year of a night out she experienced in Galway. After I read through it, I have to honestly admit that frankly my own heart sank. 

It would be very delusional of me to dismiss that experience as a one off because I do think that a significant portion of people from my own gender need a polite yet substantial talking with when it comes to learning how to communicate with women. Her blog last year suggested to me that many men have simply lost the plot when it comes to actually understanding the art of winning over the hearts and minds of the opposite gender. And not necessarily just in terms of finding a relationship.

When I was travelling back on a train one afternoon many weeks ago I heard a bloke sitting near me referring to his girlfriend as a "bird". Desperately repulsive if you ask me. Women are after all human beings and deserve much better. Today marks the day of the One Billion Rising campaign which is taking place all over the planet, outlining and emphasising the message that women are human beings and are deserving of equal respect and good treatment and nothing less.

But as far as romance is concerned, loving that very person who matters so much to you in your life is an art. Relationships are not just convenient commodities. Nor is Valentine's Day the only day in the year when you feel you have to make some sort of an effort to declare your uncompromising love to the love of your life. 

As for the men without that special someone, take note of Meghann's blog and learn the lessons carefully. Technology may be evolving but the value of chivalry remains undiminished.

And all I can say is to my fellow blokes who have that special someone in their own lives worldwide - don't just treat your lady well today. Treat her well everyday.

Because, after all, love is a 24 hours a day, 365 day a year effort. 

No comments:

Post a Comment