Monday 10 February 2014

Do you need a journalism qualification to make it in the media?

In the hot seat at STV News in Aberdeen last year
It's one of my worst kept secrets that I have an ambition to make it in the media north of the border. People look at me baffled when I tell them that my university degree was a science one and ask me why I didn't complete a degree in journalism or the media. But there is something beautiful about the world of journalism that appeals to me particularly.

It is the fact that, unlike in other professions or other fields of work, there is no official prerequisite for a journalist or broadcaster to have an educational qualification in that field. That said of course many go on to gain a qualification and build their careers in the aftermath of graduation. For many years, I was playing around with the idea of completing an MA in Broadcast Journalism (there are many successful journalists who have gained this qualification, or a similar one, and utilised it to beneficial effect in their careers).

But I'm more open minded now, for two reasons. Firstly, I am now aware of journalists who have never completed a qualification in that field and have managed to get into the media with the existing qualification that they have gained. For example, I know of journalists who have completed a degree in the law and yet they decided to become broadcast journalists instead, going on to fulfilling successful careers to date.

And secondly, the questionable cost effectiveness of going back to university to gain a second qualification. I've heard of many stories of people gaining their second qualification and heading to little or no success. Approximately £10,000 (tuition fees, living costs and other costs) is not pocket money to many and parting with that cash might not be the best idea in the context of things.

That said, there are many other options someone can pursue in order to gain some sort of a respect qualification in the field of journalism. Yesterday, I was discussing this issue with a friend of mine at the hospital radio station I currently present at. I came to the conclusion that my skills, experience and confidence was what mattered the most. The fact that I have now completed two successful work placements with STV and Kingdom FM is a major boost in my favour and something that I deeply value. I think I managed this because of my deep interest in journalism and my enthusiasm for what I do. It's vital that I keep this up.

I'm very engaged with what is happening in Scotland right now - not just in terms of current affairs, but culture, sport and many more issues. To me, what matters is that I keep my finger on the pulse when it comes to the latest developments across the country.

I reckon that I may be one of those journalists who did go to university, but not to do journalism instead becoming a graduate with a pharmacy degree. But that's no waste of time or money, because I had to do a lot of writing assignments during my studies anyway - whether it was writing my thesis, reflective commentaries or laboratory reports. And you couldn't just write an informal few lines and leave it there - you had to put an appropriate style and be concise in your writing.

I shall carry on gaining experience and building my growing skill set. I've learned so much over the last while and, in reality, know my self-worth (also knowing that it must increase at the same time). The only thing I need now is for someone out there to be won over and turn my life long passion into a fulfilling career.

No comments:

Post a Comment