Saturday 15 February 2014

Preview: The Big Questions in Edinburgh on BBC One, 16/02/14

Nicky Campbell and I share the same home city.
Tomorrow will mark my fourth appearance on the ever popular BBC programme, The Big Questions. Hosted by Edinburgh born Nicky Campbell, the show explores religious, moral and ethical issues where a studio audience take part in the debates that take place.

I keep coming back, because this show has somewhat become a major fixture in the weekly TV schedule and this is also a programme that provides the opportunity for those taking part to come out of their comfort zone and assert their views and opinions. And I'm not just talking about the audience, but I'm also talking about those who comment on the show through social media, blogging or even those who shout at the TV screen.

Most of you will probably be enjoying your Sunday morning sleep (unless you are working early in the morning) whilst I will be in my car driving over the Forth Road Bridge to head to where the show is taking place within the Scottish capital. Without a doubt (and with honesty), I still really wish for the chance to take a seat as one of the main speakers in the front row on the show, but know that I'll have to settle once again for a spot somewhere else in the audience (it's not a bad thing, I'm just being a little too ambitious!).

But then again, I am asking for a little too much by being pushy and no doubt will try to put in a meaningful contribution once again on the programme, particularly on the debate regarding assisted dying which is a topic that has caused much debate here in Scotland. Independent MSP for the Lothians, Margo MacDonald MSP, has recently relaunched proposals to make assisted suicide a legal right for people who are terminally ill.

To conclude, I'll let you know that despite the passionate views many of us will hold under the studio lights and with many people watching, all of us will be friendly enough with one another and feel lucky and honoured to be in the audience. And, on another lighter note, one or two of my friends will be trying to guess what colour of tie I shall be wearing - last year I caused quite a stir with my bright green tie. Should I go for another extravagant colour or just return to a cool blue or purple? Or should I even wear one at all?

You'll have to tune in tomorrow from 10am on BBC One (across the UK) to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment