Monday 14 January 2013

IRELAND 2012: The Dingle Way

Taken on the bus to Anascaul, the stunning Dingle Way
I'm not officially Irish. But I want to make a contribution throughout the whole of this week to the popular promotion of Positive Ireland. And for me there is no better way to do this than look back at my colourful time on the whole Emerald Isle last October.

Today, I start in County Kerry. My newly adopted home county. Why? Well my first name can be found in the name of a small and sweet village called Anascaul (or Annascaul), approximately 30km west of Tralee. And rather than be unfairly dubbed as vain, I'd rather revel in delight because this part of the world is absolutely fascinating.

My newly adopted Irish hometown
Sadly, I couldn't reach Dingle because I just had to get off at my newly adopted Irish home, hence taking up my time. But the journey along The Dingle Way provides nothing but extraordinary views of the country and the Irish coastline. And of course the chance to see Blennerville Windmill, the Republic of Ireland's biggest windmill. On the day I was there last year, I was very lucky. After a full week with overcast conditions, the sun decided to break its way through those clouds and shine on the south west of Ireland.

I want to head there again the next time I head to the Emerald Isle. The geography there is stunning. And it was one of the real reasons I decided to spend my money on the Emerald Isle. Ireland is full of breathtaking scenery and the Dingle Way doesn't disappoint.

Tralee is also a very lovely town. Known in Irish as Trá Lí, meaning the strand of the Lee (which is a river), it is home to one of the country's biggest festivals, attracting participants from every corner of the globe - The Rose of Tralee International Festival. Broadcast live on RTÉ One, participants take part in a contest based on their personalities and are seen as role models by others. They are seen as ambassadors for the nation wherever they are in the world. And this is especially important because the Irish family spreads from well beyond this fascinating island and beyond into millions and millions of people.

So what more do you want? Its a fabulous part of the world and especially when the weather is right, County Kerry is a fabulous part of the island. And its Gaelic football and hurling team rocks. And will win the All Ireland final in 2013.

Thought I'd just sneak that in before I end tonight.

My Irish name at the back of my own County Kerry GAA shirt


No comments:

Post a Comment