Wednesday 16 January 2013

Is love pointless?

Image courtesy of thanunkorn / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Tonight I'm in a pretty dark mood. So, brace yourself.

Being in your 20's isn't easy. Particularly when you are lonely. Its a good thing I'm a media junkie and have a television to keep me entertained. With live sport, STV's Scotland Tonight and maybe even a cheesy late night documentary or film on before the early hours, what have I to complain about? Why do I even need to give up being single?

This last week I haven't kept my mouth shut about graduate unemployment, particularly within my profession. Which really means I have to prioritise my career and professional life over many other things in life particularly, for example in my own case, where you are stuck in the gravel trap and want to get yourself back onto the track.

I frankly cannot afford to even contemplate the idea and luxury of having that special person in my life to talk to when I'm at my most vulnerable emotionally. Nobody's interested in someone who isn't even remotely interested at all in romance when frankly, virtually nobody else is. And its not just me but an increasing number of people everywhere.

A Guardian article last March showed that a market research firm called Euromonitor International found that the number of singles worldwide had almost doubled in fifteen years between 1996 and 2011. And, according to the very same article on The Guardian website, over a third of households across the United Kingdom had only one person living in them. 

Sadly, this is an inevitability. We've become too interested in our own selves rather than other people. And yes sadly that's me included. Its not something I'm particularly proud of. But in a volatile economic world and after so many years of hard work, fighting to keep your career floating above water, is it any wonder that people my age have bigger and bolder priorities? The fact it, life has changed.

And not necessarily for the better. I believe some people can live alone and feel happy. But for the rest of us, its a status we don't really want. I posed the question a few weeks ago whether singles were hated? People tend to think slightly less of us when they learn of our martial status.

Which is a shame, because actually its not really our fault. Its just that...life has radically changed for many of us. And its not really benefiting us in terms of increasing our happiness. Living healthily and happy is the key and I believe a strong and stable love life is key.

But modern life has made achieving such stability too complicated. Its so expensive and when you're in major difficulties yourself then it feels almost impossible to find the person of your dreams.

Which is why, sadly, at times you inevitably ask yourself - what is the point?

No comments:

Post a Comment