Sunday 20 January 2013

REVIEW: BBC's The Big Questions in Glasgow, January 2013

Glasgow's Clyde Arc
Well can you believe it? Today marked probably my dozenth ever appearance on a television screen. You couldn't make it up!

The BBC hit show, The Big Questions, is produced by Mentorn Scotland and came to one of Scotland's most prestigious schools - Hutchesons' Grammar School, located in the south of Glasgow. Back for its sixth series, the show continues to be a successful hit with viewers across the UK and is full of lively, and sometimes, controversial debate.

After being full of nerves and being unable to sleep until nearly 1am this morning, I woke up just before 6am, beautifying myself before making my way to appear on BBC One this morning. Backstage in the waiting room I went on to my second cup of tea of the day and it was hardly just past 8am. But what I loved about today was how incredibly friendly everyone was. There's a strange yet sweet sense that we're all like a little family.

Because lets be honest the size of the audience on the programme isn't actually that big. We're talking about approximately 50 people (count the number when you watch the show), a crew of about 15-20 people including producers, the directors, researchers, studio runners and of course the ever canny Nicky Campbell.

After a briefing from Nicky and his colleagues we then had a warm up debate to get us all going. Particularly regarding the fact that it was bitterly cold outside so having a more than warm studio was much welcome.

10am, showtime! Hyped up and ready to go, there is no doubt that nobody can say that I was anything less than excitable. Clapping vigorously like a crazy football fan watching his team winning 5-0, the lights, music and the atmosphere were enough to overwhelm myself inside. And I say that being passionately interested in broadcasting.

To my surprise, even to this minute, Nicky was brave enough to let me speak on not one but two occasions. Firstly, by accident. Scottish Conservative leader Ruth Davidson MSP made one of the best points of the show when she said that successful male role models shouldn't be the alpha male stereotype but instead courteous, polite gentlemen.

I agreed with that so much that I went "hear, hear" and it provoked Nicky to turn the microphone onto myself. Rather than writing my opinion of what I said on here, I'd rather you saw it for yourself (from 29:00) but what I will say is - chivalry rules.

And then my second contribution (from 47:15) was regarding whether it should be legal to get high. Now when I watched this back earlier this afternoon, I cringed. I have to admit it wasn't my finest hour at the dispatch box.

However, it wasn't completely bad. But, on the negative side, I would have rather used the word "preparations" and not "stuff" and actually wish I had answered Nicky's last question more directly. My adrenaline rush took control and drove me in the wrong direction when it came to getting the right words out. A learning experience gained I think.

On a separate note from the running of the show, I wanted to clear one or two things up from the show. I have to admit I'm a little uncomfortable with the idea of pharmacies supplying "legal highs" because I think it sends the wrong message to the public. We are responsible healthcare professionals and frankly we are talking about substances like cocaine, ecstasy and even LSD - they are extremely dangerous.

I was very intrigued to hear from all the other contributors about the issue and can completely understand their points. However, I still think the bottom line is - these substances are intoxicating and can have some extremely serious negative effects for an individual and their health.

But of course, on another separate note, there are drug rehabilitation programmes involving methadone dispensing in pharmacy, permitted under the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971, where patients are normally monitored on their level of consumption and then work is done to ensure that they can reduce their need and dose until they are drug free.

We should all aim to eliminate the problems that illicit drugs cause and I strongly support well co-ordinated rehabilitation programmes in the NHS and healthcare plus education as well, particularly for our young people. But that does not mean the law should be liberalised to a degree where it sends out the wrong message to people about drugs.

However, I was relieved to have made the point outlining a pharmacist's responsibilities and opening up in saying that there is a lot of debate going on in pharmacy and beyond regarding addiction to over the counter medicines.

Overall, it was well worth travelling on a 100 mile round journey to Glasgow and back to be on the show. I absolutely loved it. Being on such programmes, getting involved in the broadcasting industry and championing pharmacy's cause is what wakes me up in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment